Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

This book is considered one of the greatest works of fiction of the twentieth century. Some lists have it first, virtually all have it in the top ten. My son was recently assigned this book for his class so I chose to read it myself.

I like to consider myself a lover of literature. I believe I am. This book was not a great book by my estimation. While it does perhaps show a picture of society in New York in the nineteen twenties it is a small picture and not a diverse one.

Everyone who has read the book knows about the symbolism of the green light, and we are told that it is a novel that talks about upward mobility and the dreams we aspire to.

I just think the novel is a short story about a group of unlikable characters. A couple lines are clear to remember, for me the greatest is " and we drove on through the night to our deaths"

After reading I did some research about theoretical meanings of the symbolism in the book.

I am sure it is a weakness in me. I am a pretty black and white guy. Hemingway appeals to me in ways Gatsby does not but perhaps i miss the symbolism in Hemingway as well and taking the story at face value is not the best course.

Either way for me this novel did not live up to expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment