Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Killing

After watching and enjoying Rubicon on AMC last fall and finding that is has been cancelled without any real conclusion I was a bit hesitant to invest in this series but decided to try the first episode.

It was a quite intriguing show. Mirielle Enos, last seen having her hair caught in a truck window and strangling on Big Love, plays Sarah Linden a homicide detective in Seattle on her last day of work as she prepares to move to California with her boyfriend and 13 year old son.

The story centers on the killing of a high school girl. Told in the format of a murder mystery we meet the characters, many of them, including parents, friends, rich boy losers, odd guidance counselers and school officials. We also have a parallel story of a city councilman who is running for mayor dealing with leaks in his campaign who has some issues in his background though we know not what. In the first episode a campaign car is where the body of the young girl is found when the car is pulled from a small resoivoir.

One gets the sense that with the huge cast of characters we are not going to know who did this for many episodes and we should expect many red herrings along the way. The show is kind of dark. My sons watched it with us and I would have preferred they not. My wife always wants to include them while I have no issue having shows that I prefer they not watch. It was dark. My wife called it a middle of the afternoon show not a last program to watch before bed show.

I agree. Tivo. Open the curtains. Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment