Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Circuital by My Morning Jacket

Over the last week My Morning Jacket has been everywhere. A VH1 Storytellers and last night on Jimmy Fallon is where I have seen them myself. Here in Bangor we know that MMJ will be the headliners on the second night of the KheBang Festival. A band of this stature, a perfect band for a festival signifies that this festival is reaching a level of acceptance nationally.

Having first seen MMJ as the opening act for Tom Petty last summer I enjoyed the music but was at least intrigued by the fans at that show that clearly were there for MMJ. They knew every word and sang and strummed with a dedication seen in few if any of the more staid Petty fans.

I now consider myself a full convert to MMJ fandom. The music is intelligent, sharp and breaks across a wide variety of genres making it hard to classify.

The new album does the same. The title track is a trippy seven minute epic that showcases the singing of Jim James as well as the strong musical skills of the band. The lead track Victory Dance shows that this band will never be mainstream, commercial, I hear the influence of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd albeit with a southern influence. James lyrics are intelligent with a cross current of references.

The Day is Coming, Wonderful the way I feel and You Want to Freak Out add to the trippiness of this album. Trippy and intelligent are the two words I think of most.

This is not a band to appreciate with one listen. They grow on you as you develop an understanding of the style and lyrical bend to the music.

Spend a day or two with MMJ and you will be one the converts.

A great album. An even greater band.

No comments:

Post a Comment