Sunday, July 3, 2011

Men of a Certain Age

In our quest to find interesting things to watch on that rare occasion where we get to sit down at the same time..usually around 10:30 at night my wife picked up the first disc in this series on Netflix. It was one of those shows we had always intended to watch but the truth is that more and more the idea of watching a show when it is originally on is completely foreign.

Today with the advent of DVD if you miss a couple episodes at the beginning of a show you can just wait for the DVD release. For us this year we did not hook up HBO for the last season of Big Love nor for Boardwalk Empire. In both cases we made this choice so that we could watch the show later on DVD. The fact is watching TV shows in four episode spurts is more convenient that waiting for a episode each week.

So that is my dissertation of the changing nature of watching television. On this show, Men of a Certain Age, Ray Romano, Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher play three longtime friends meeting the quandaries of middle age.

I have earlier discussed my affection for Ray Romano. This show does not dissipate that like in anyway. Bakula is likable and Braugher is well known as a stellar actor from his days on Homicide.

One episode into the show I care about the characters. I want to know what happens. I want to know if Joe ( Ray Romano) ever meets the fantasy woman. And yes for those that have seen the show I do want to know if "they" are real. My guess is no.

This is a very good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment