Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sergeant York

Years ago I had a friend who was a minister of a small local church. He told me that this was his favorite movie. After taping this on TCM I have watched the movie in starts and stops over the last few days and have to say that it is a fine movie.

The movie tells the story of Alvin York a man from the backwoods of Tennessee who became one of the most decorated soldiers of World War I. The movie gives plenty of time to the characters experiences before the war, in fact the better part of the movie. The conversion experience shown in the film is one of the best found God movies you will ever see in a movie. I suspect this was why my friend enjoyed the movie.

Gary Cooper won the Best Actor Oscar in his role as York and played him as the aw shucks persona that was according to the record York's true personality. Walter Brennan plays the Minister and local trading post proprietor who serves as York's counsel as his own father died when he was eleven. Brennan in playing many of the same types of characters is underrated in his talent. One might question where those eyebrows of a different color came from in the movie and to what purpose.

York's military experiences and relationships with his peers are well documented and given especially sensitive treatment is York's concern to stay true to his religeous beliefs with his mission in war. Find a way he did as York took out a whole machine gun battery and captured a group of men many more in number than his group.

Black and white from 1941 and certainly nothing like what is filmed today in terms of cinematography. Still the story is the story and this is a good story. A very good movie. Now if I was to see my friend Ron from years ago I could tell him I knew what he meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment