Saturday, September 29, 2012

Call of the Wild by Jack London



This is one of those books we have all heard referenced a thousand times. Jack London who was one of the great writers at the turn of the twentieth century writing both short stories and novels. Call of the Wild might well be his most famous and popular novel.

After having read the short story To Build a Fire I had placed more of London's work on my list and so recently had started this book.

One quarter of the way in I have come to a very relevant point. The book is told from the point of view of Buck, a very proud and strong husky dog. It is still, however, a book told from the point of view of Buck, a husky dog.

I find the writing to be clunky and frankly not very good. Perhaps the book was that time and place's version of young adult work. Still held up as a classic I was not aware of this.

This will be one of the few books that I start that I will not be finishing. Consider this a thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment