Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Great Upheaval by Jay Winik

I tend to read several books at once, this is why I seem to be finishing a few books in rapid succession. This book by Jay Winik is a wonderful book. Telling the tale of Russia under Catherine the Great, America as the Presidency takes hold and the fall of Louis XVI and the coming French Revolution and other events in the window from 1788 to 1800 this book is a wonder.

Weaving biographies of Robiespierre, Danton and LouisXVI in France, to Catherine the Great's rise and rule in Russia and the founding fathers in America this book teaches us much. It was not an easy read. At times it made me reread a page to make sure I grasped the magnitude of what I was reading.

The chapters bringing the monarchy to a close in France ending with the beheading of the King and Queen were moving to the point of leaving me upset and frustrated that they did not escape.

The book was draining. Like all good history it was easy to forget you knew the outcome.

This book would get my highest rating. Wonderful

No comments:

Post a Comment