Monday, October 10, 2011

Mockingbird Time by The Jayhawks

I love the Jayhawks. A band that never quite broke huge on the commercial scene they were very influential on a great number of bands. Albums such as Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass are still high on the playlists of many fans, myself included.

In 2003 the album Rainy Day Music was released. With only one of the original two singers present the album was cohesive and strong, still my favorite Jayhawks album.

Recently an anthology was released and its success caused the band to renew their efforts and record a new album of material called Mockingbird Time. I was very excited about this and had looked forward to this fall release all summer. After having listened to the album several times in the last week I have to say that this is one reunion that need not have happened, perhaps a tour but the new music is weak. I am not sure why, the harmonies are still there and I am sure they try. Still it is easily apparent they had little to say. Hide your Colors has been the first single and while acceptable, nothing to hate for sure, it is nothing to remember either. That is probably the nicest one can say about this. You do not hate it but you do not remember it. You have no knowledge of it after you hear it.

This was a huge disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment