Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Hangover II

I thought The Hangover was a very funny movie. It was also the source of contention in our home as our middle child, 13 at the time, was sure he should be allowed to see it while my wife was sure he should not. After watching this second movie I am not sure that I should be allowed to see it.

This movie is funny. It is not the original. It could well be that having seen the first one that the second which follows much the same trajectory could not be as funny. We already know what is coming.

Zach Galifinakas might be one of the funniest people in movies today and he does not disapoint. He makes me laugh just by looking at him. His portrayal of an innocent in the world around him, too honest for his own good is funny. Still the whole Bangkok has him theme gets old. A few too many Oriental stereotypes happen and I squirmed a bit at hearing what happened to Alan with the man in drag.

That did allow for some more of the Galifinakas humor but it still made me uncomfortable. Mike Tyson reprises his role as Mike Tyson and is funny again.

Still I cannot give this movie much more than an average rating. It was like seeing a repeat that for some reason was nowhere near as funny as the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment