Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Outsiders by S E Hinton

My daughter was given this book as an assignment in her 7th grade English class. Continuing my history of attempting to read many of the books, in most cases rereading, the books my children are assigned. This one was an easy one to embrace. Having read this book in school and enjoying it and having seen the movie I read this one in two evenings.

The story is an Oklahoma West Side Story. The story of 3 brothers Derry, SodaPop and Ponyboy whose parents were killed a year previous leaving them struggling to stay together. Self identifying as greasers they live in a caste system as clear as any you would find. Their rivals the Socials are the kids from the good side of town, they have cars and nice clothes and of course the classy girls.

The story revolves around Johnny a smallish sixteen year old friend of Ponyboy. As the boys are out late one evening they are unfortunate enough to run into a group of Soc and the events will change lives.

This is a good story. It would be good if it showed young folks the dangers of fighting and what can go wrong.

My daughter enjoyed it. So did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment