Monday, April 16, 2012

American Idol----The Save Was Used



Last Wednesday night my wife and I did our normal Wednesday night routine and watched American Idol. As has been discussed before on this site my wife loves these shows.

Now I will be the first to admit that, watch the show as much as I do, I do not know the singers names. At this point I know them as Country Girl, Blonde British Petite Girl, Dave Matthews wannabe, Christian Rocker dude, Jersey Girl with the big face, Incredible Black Guy and Petite Hispanic Girl.

They are all very good singers. I think that it could be the best seven singers that they have ever had on the show. They all have appeal. Of the seven the only one who at this point might be suspect is The Jersey Girl and still when she rocks out like she did doing a Zeppelin cover a couple of weeks ago she was great.

So as we are watching the show last week and I am watching the singers and then the judges reviews something struck me. I have noticed each week that the judges just are in love with the Incredible Black Guy and the Petite Hispanic Girl. They are good. I think the girl is a little cold and I always think it is a mistake to take a song that a good portion of the audience is not going to be familiar with. This is what she did. Now the fellow was amazing. I think he is an incredible talent and he might well win the contest. I do not think it is a given however. The fact is that at this point all of the singers have their own niche, I am not sure how many people are changing their votes each week. The loser each week might be the one who gains the least of the votes from the singer departed the week before.

The judges however, to me, have gone over the top. I think that all the singers are good and to go after Blond British and DMB Wannabe last week as hard as they did while praising Hispanic Girl for doing a song no one knows is silly. I told my wife on Wednesday that I wondered if there was some level of conspiracy on the show to make the winner be the most talented technically and more diverse. The Voice is providing some competition, perhaps they are trying to be more serious. My wife said I was being silly and moreover she wanted to enjoy her favorite shows without conspiracy theories thank you very much.

Still watching the judges have a hissy fit over the girl getting eliminate and scolding America to vote for the best one was ridiculous.

Lets be clear about a few things. The show has always been a popularity contest, the contestants that have the widest niche that they fill get to the end, and the judges feedback borders on the nonsensical each week. Telling contestants to be more diverse in their choices and when they do criticizing them for trying to be what they are not is just one example.

The judges on this show need a total revamping. What they really need is Simon.

Scolding your audience and telling them to vote for the judges favorites is perhaps not the best way to treat your audience.

I was put off by it. I myself think that Dave Matthews wannabe and Country Girl could easily win. They could be on the radio tomorrow. I think having the ability to have a commercial success right away is a good trait.

So judges say what you think, but don't say something for the sake of saying something. And don't scold me. I do not respect you enough to put up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment