Monday, October 22, 2012

A Midsummer Nights Dream by William Shakespeare



Anyone who follows this blog or knows me knows that I am a huge fan of Shakespeare. However this play may prove the exception to the rule. I was looking to branch out from the histories and tragedies that I have focused my attention on the Shakespeare canon but must admit that in moving to this play I was sorely disappointed.

I had high hopes, in fact I read a passage from the opening scene to my wife in wonder at the way the author can turn a phrase. However the play quickly becomes a jumble of apparently everyone sleeping with someone. Now I will be first in line to tell you that most likely this play is wonderful to the right audience, it might just be a question of the reader and his interest in the subject matter, but for me this play was a very large disappointment. As I move on to the next reading of Shakespeare I will have to move back to the familiar and come back again to these comedies and the like when my attitude of admiration is reassured.

Still love the Bard just not a fan of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment