Monday, October 22, 2012

Why Does the World Exist by Jim Holt



I was very interested in this book when I picked it up, I am always intrigued by the science of origin and this book promised to offer a mix of the physical sciences and of course the theology theories.

The book was a sore disappointment. It was, for me, almost unreadable. Very little of the science was discussed, there were some basic thoughts of physics but more was spent on the philosophical side.

There were discussions of nothing, what is the default state of the universe, and of course the age old of " Are we really here, do we really exist? " It was written in prose that was fairly inaccessible and put me to mind of the last scene in St Elsewhere where the boy is looking at the snow globe and of course also brings one back to some chemically induced conversations in college, " Hey man, what if this whole world is just a blade of grass in another universe."

Having not partaken of chemicals this book failed for me. Again it is perhaps a mistake on my part for expecting from the book what it was not and perhaps did not set out to be. I was looking for a dissertation and theories on creationism science and theology and how or if the trains can meet.

This book was just a little too much of nothing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment