Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ellie Goulding and The Wallflowers



So in this weeks new music releases the most buzz-worthy of the new releases has been new albums by Ellie Goulding and The Wallflowers. This morning I took a listen to the albums and in both cases have to say that I was totally....uninspired.

After listening to Muse last week and being very impressed I believe sincerely that I am open to new music so I was prepared to be impressed by Elle Goulding. I have heard the song " Lights" quite a bit this fall and to me there was nothing about it that was remember-able.

The new album has got some good reviews, from Rolling Stone especially. Listening to the album I hear a great voice, many new sound effects and a very modern backing to a voice that could just as easily be singing standards. For me this combination is nothing short of a disaster. Their is nothing in this music that I can speak well of. I can say that Goulding has great potential, her voice is shimmering at times, however it does not work in this context.


Also released was The Wallflowers new album Glad All Over. The Wallflowers are perhaps the least successful band that has survived for fifteen years since their one great commercial success. Now it is surely not necessary for a great band to be a commercial success. However when a band does not really have a niche that allows them to be non commercial there is little room for growth. The best word for The Wallflowers music is forgettable. There is nothing that I hear that makes me have any desire to hear it again.

There are good weeks and bad weeks and I can uusally find something good to say about a band or an album. Not in these cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment