Saturday, January 26, 2013

Recollection: The Best of Concrete Blonde



A few folks reading this might remember a band by that name and if not they might more easily recall the one single they were successful with on the pop charts, namely a song called Joey in the early nineties.

There was much more to Concrete Blonde than that however. If you were around in the late eighties in Maine and were a rock fan it seems likely you listened at times to WBLM. This radio station which I still admit to tuning in on my trips to southern Maine, I could listen online anytime I want but forget to, dominated a segment of the market at that time.

WBLM loved Concrete Blonde. Many of the songs that you will find on this Best of Collection were songs we all heard on WBLM long before this band ever broke nationally. From True, Still in Hollywood, Dance Along the Edge, God is A Bullet, Tomorrow Wendy, to Ghost of a Texas Ladies Man this band was making great, original, music all through the late eighties.

For those who are going down this memory lane with me I wonder how many remember how often the band played at Raoul's Roadside Attraction on Forest Avenue. I remember seeing them a couple of times and I think that I missed them a few times. This was a band, loved and promoted by a radio station in a small market that created a hotspot of fans for them long before and long after their national success.

Hearing Joey on the satellite today made all these memories come flooding back and I listened to this collection on Spotify. One could find much worse way to spend an hour than by spending this hour down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment