Friday, January 11, 2013

Rolling Stones Reach Another Generation or Mick Jagger is the Energizer Bunny



As many of you know by now late last fall The Rolling Stones released another compilation of their greatest hits. It seems like every few years a new set of this music appears all claiming to offer something new. On this collection, titled GRRR, we were promised, to go along with the pristine sound on the newly cleaned up original hits from yesteryear a couple of new singles.

The first of those was called Doom and Gloom and I wrote about the song at that time. However as much as I liked the song, and I did, I do not listen to commercial radio that much and when on the satellite often find myself listening to a mix of First Wave, the Alternative Music Channel and of course my girl Elizabeth Cook on Outlaw Country. Thus I do not often hear what is being played on the more contemporary channels.

That changes when my lovely thirteen year old daughter jumps in the truck. We have an unwritten agreement that unless I am listening to something I cannot miss she is allowed to switch it over to the Hits Channel or the 20 on 20 channel on the satelite. So there we were the other day on our way to school she had bounced around" her channels" so much I had told her to for goodness sake pick something and as she landed on 20 for 20 I heard the opening chords of what could only be a Stones song.

I must admit to feeling a little bit disoriented to not hear Taylor Swift or somebody rapping at me but then smiled to myself to think that our boys Mick and Keith had cracked the bubblegum channel on the Satellite. I cannot tell you how much pleasure it brought me to tell my daughter " Whoa, right there, I think this is the channel to listen to." and we grooved out to Doom and Gloom all the way to school. This truly is one of the best Stones singles I have heard in the last thirty years.

Mick's howl is in rare form and as he spreads out the syllables in Moooooove and Doooom and Gloooom the song works like nothing new we have heard from them in a long time. Take that great song and then make a few teenagers listen to these old wrinkled men as my girl says and you have the start of a very fine day. In the end even she had to say that " while it was not a song she would have picked out it had a pretty good beat."

Perhaps there is hope for her musical taste yet. The Rolling Stones approaching 70 and as Bobby Russell used to say on the radio still " The Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the world. "

No comments:

Post a Comment