Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bob Dylan

I love Bob Dylan. My oldest son in affirming that as uncool as I am in most things accepts my judgment in music more than any other matter. Recently I have been making playlists for him to listen to on his IPOD. I have added to the most recent ones some Bob Dylan songs he may not have heard as much.

In doing so I am again and again filled with wonder at the art of Dylan.

Visions of Johanna is a masterful song from Blonde on Blonde. Desolation Row is one of Dylans long songs that tells a wonderful story.

Tangled up in Blue from his signature Blood on the Tracks remains one of the best Dylan songs ever wrote.

For me the real happiness has been hearing him playing a couple of more obscure songs that I have sent him. Highlands the 16 minute epic from Time out of Mind has Dylan sing talking a long story with " my hearts in the highlands " as the main theme and at one point proclaiming that he is" talking to myself in a monologue" which he surely is.

Then there is Tight Connection to my Heart a long forgotten song from Empire Burlesque in 1980's which has some great lines that are pure Dylan such as " Someday maybe I'll remember to forget" and " what looks larege from a distance close up ain't never that big.

Bob Dylan .....the love transferred to my son. At least he gets that from me. Thank you Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment