Monday, May 3, 2010

The Odyssey by Homer

Somehow I escaped having to read this in high school. Looking at my son's freshman English syllabus I saw that he was not going to be so fortunate. In a spirit of both solidarity and my desire to go back and read all the books I did not read when assigned in school I have today finished this Homer classic.

It was finished just about an hour after the " child of morning rosy fingered dawn" appeared." Anyone who has read The Odyssey will get this reference. I wonder if the several repetitive phrases that appear in The Odyssey such ss this were in the original or are a result of the translation.

The book itself was a good one. As a young boy I read the Tales of Hercules and of many of the mythology that appears in this book. Mortals and Immortals interact with the hero Ulysses.

In short Ulysses goes to war, takes 20 years to return and his wife is holding off suitors intending to marry her now that her husband is dead. He returns. He corrects things.

I really did enjoy the story. I am glad I read it. I will be interested to see how my son does with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment