Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Collected Poems of Dylan Thomas

I like to think of myself as well educated and open to enjoying of good literature. I have been attempting to read the classics over the last few years and have enjoyed many of them.

Hearing cultural references to Dylan Thomas frequently as a great poet and of course knowing that Bob Dylan himself took his name from Dylan Thomas I decided to educate myself.

I have been reading the collected poems of Dylan Thomas. After reading about half the book I have to call myself.....completely unmoved. Perhaps my brain does not appreciate poetry. Clearly this would appear to be the case. In my later in life readings I have loved Hemingway and marveled at Steinbeck, think Updike's Rabbit series is some of the best writing I have ever seen. But that said I found Cheever to be not that enticing and still have not built up the courage to attack Faulkner.

Dylan Thomas and poetry may well be south of my ability to appreciate it. I regret it. I tried. It may be time to move on to Faulkner and see how I do with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment