Friday, March 16, 2012

127 Hours

Much was made of this movie upon it's release. Starring James Franco as Aaron Ralston, an avid outdoor enthusiast who while doing some rock climbing suffers a terrible accident. Franco who won an Oscar for his portrayal is good in the role.

Still for me the hoopla and excitement over the movie was over done. For me, frankly, this movie was not that good. Watching Ralston as he starts his day, excited about his trip, and even as the opening credits role, not being able to reach his Swiss army knife on the top shelf is a good start. This proves to be a pretty serious attempt at foreshadowing. As he explores the canyons we enjoy the scenery and his obvious joy. When he meets a couple of young ladies and helps them to his destination we are happy that he is such a nice guy.

However the scenes after he has his accident and his arm is stuck are not exciting. They are a bit tedious. The reflections on his family and friends did not move me, they just bored me. I am one who can be moved, the scenes just did not work for me. Perhaps it was because we knew what was going to happen, we knew he was going to get stuck, we knew he was going to cut his own arm off, perhaps it could not live up.

The end of the movie was better. When he finally cuts his arm off and falls to the ground, the amazement he feels is evident. He is thankful. Watching him realize he will have to rappel down the mountain, and risk injury again, is tough to watch and the scenes when he finally sees people in the distance and shouts to them for help and is rescued are well done and offer an emotional payoff.

Still for me this movie was not for me one I would recommend, it was not that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment