Monday, March 26, 2012

Smash

A sad confession has to be made. I have paid more attention to this show than I like to admit. I never watch the show myself I feel compelled to add. My wife watches this On Demand. I happen to be in the room.

Still as we have watched five episodes I must admit to knowing more about the show and it's plot than I would have expected. Created by Stephen Speilberg the show tells the story of the creation of a Broadway play based on the life of Marilyn Monroe.

Starring Debra Messing as half of the writing tandem in charge of the play, former American Idol contestant Katherine McPhee as a sweet Iowa girl who is in her first production and Megan Hilty as the blond buxom actress who gains the part of Marilyn the show has some appeal.

My wife loves it and when I find myself asking which gay guy is that, and why is the blonde being mean to Katherine McPhee I know I should just leave the room. The production numbers do not really keep my interest but when Hilty does her breathy Marilyn part one cannot help but notice. She is magnetic.

The writing is sharp, the characters move beyond the basic stereotype and as with anything Spielberg everything is put together well. It is hard to picture the show having a large appeal and I will admit that a play about Marilyn with a similarly featured actress was a pretty smart move. Still it seems likely the show will not survive, my wife will be a bit disappointed and go back to Glee and I will pay better attention to my reading materials on late Sunday afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment