Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Avett Brothers/ Live Volume 3

I had heard references to this band and new it was on the edge of popularity and a band with a huge cult following. It is always enjoyable to find a band not many other people know about. Last weekend on the Paladia Network the DVD of this concert was featured. So I had an opportunity to see them for myself. The concert was nothing short of spectacular.

So this Tuesday when the album of the same DVD was released it was an easy to decision to purchase. So many styles and influences are apparent in this band. I hear Simon and Garfunkel in the harmonies, early Counting Crows in the bounce and energy, and bluegrass and rockabilly influences as well.

Realizing that this band has made numerous albums as they widen their network of followers this live album is only I assume a short portion of the songs their long time fans know but with what I have heard this week they are a treasure.

Full scale commercial appeal is probably not in the cards for this group but that is not sad distinction. Top 40 has always been a wasteland and today it is worse than ever.

A few songs of particular importance are the frenetic Talk on Indolence and I Killed Sally's Lover, two songs which live you get to see a bouncing cello player which tells you all you need to know about the energy.

When I Drink, Shame and Kick Dream Heart are slightly less frenetic but bring different levels of bounce and enjoyment.

Clearly the masterpieces to me on this album are the most popular single song they have had I and You and Me ( a unique take on the I Love You constant in music), Murder in the City and the masterful Ballad of Love and Hate.

There are no bad songs and the concert end with Salvation Song is a sing along.

I went to see Tom Petty this summer and seeing the devotion of the fans of the opening act My Morning Jacket one sees the concert goers at this show as well. There is no one so devoted to a band as one who thinks they have something not many others know about.

With music like this these folks might not have that pleasure too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment