Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Using my free kindle PC version I have been endeavoring to read some classics that I had not read before. With the goal of reading a chapter a day and the fact that this summer we traveled quite a bit this took quite sometime to get thru.

This was a hard read. Having read that the book was not considered a classic upon being published and was not really discovered until the late 1800's, early 1900's as a classic.

The book is not an easy read. I wanted to understand the story, we hear many cultural references to chasing the white whale etc..

I started the book out feeling good, after all I had just read Homer this should be a breeze. I have to say though, that for me this was tougher.

Parts were very interesting, of particular interest was the main characters first contacts with Quahog. We learned much about whales and when we learn the intense obsession of Ahab we learn that he will stop at nothing to get the whale.

A good story but the diversion and such around the subject made it a bit confusing. I read it, I am glad to have done so. But it was not a favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment