Monday, May 9, 2011

Bring It On

Sometimes you watch a movie you did not intend to. Sometimes you watch a movie your embarrassed to admit too. Sometimes you watch a movie that just happens to be about cheerleaders and when you tell your wife it was a mistake she just gives you the look.

All of these events happened to me last week when one of the kids left the television on USA and when I returned to the house after dropping them off to school I turned on the television to check out the last hour of Morning Joe.

So I ended up watching the ten year old movie Bring It On cheerleading movie starring Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku. Certainly watching the cheerleading scenes was not bad on the eyes but the real thing about this movie was that I had a hard time deciding if the movie was a parody, a farce, or a real storylined movie.

I decided it was a combination. The movie tells the tale of Torrance (Dunst) who has been named cheer captain who when recruiting a new girl named Missy ( played by Duskhu) is made aware that her team's previous captains have been stealing routines from an inner city school in Compton.

Struggling to do the right thing she faces challenges from her own team who are more concerned with winning than doing right. There are all the stereotypical high school characters and some parts of the movie are laughable if not on purpose.

Still there is some drama and a little bit of merit in the story and the movie is not entirely bad. We have all known these characters and it is interesting to seem them paraodied and in some cases skewered so well.

An interesting movie, not one I would reccomend but I have to confess I did watch it. Does it count that I was reading John Cheever at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment