Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues

This album was released today. If you would like to hear it to see what all the fuss is about you can go to Rolling Stone.com and stream the whole album. This is surely one of those albums that you need to hear a few times. Amazon also has a one day special today making it available for just $3.99

As I write this I am on my second listen and it is a very good album. Music for me at this time in my life has a pretty high threshold between I like it and I will buy it. I have too much music now to listen to what I have properly. Still, the more I listened to this the more I liked it.

Clearly the folk, alt rock wave continues to rise. The harmonies on this album are wonderful. The influences are everywhere. At first I thought Crosby Stills and Nash and that is true but one also can hear the Beach Boys but for me I hear alot of Simon and Garfunkel though the instrumentation is a little trippier, in places it is like S & G were being backed by a little bit of Pink Floyd.

To compare it with something current you might call it a more etheraal Mumford and Sons. Listening to the title song and the harmonies makes your heart skip and soar and makes you want to hug someone you love. At least it does me. The rest of the album is just as intersting.

Great music. Buy it today

No comments:

Post a Comment