Friday, May 27, 2011

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

My son was assigned this book last fall. My middle son is not a great fan of sitting still, unless it is in front of a television, so, like most boys his age , he found this book a challenge. Then this spring my youngest, my daughter, was assigned the same book.

She is a reader but she was complaining about it as well so I decided that I would read it with her. It did seem to help her enjoy the book more as we compared notes and she enjoyed giving me my homework assignments.

Truthfully I thought the book was very good. It told a very interesting tale, was written well, in the first person for the most part and told at a good pace.

Long John Silver is a great character, switching sides more than a contestant on Survivor. The book, written for kids, comes to a fitting conclusion and while of course there is violence it pales in comparison to the gore in today's childrens books and movies.

My daughter ended up thanking me for reading it with her and telling me that she thought that given a chance it was a good book. In the end that is the goal to get kids to read for enjoyment and even on an assigned reading to try to get something out of of it.

That was my goal and I got to read what turned out to be a very good book.

If you have not read this you should..better yet read it with your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment