Friday, May 20, 2011

Waylon and Willie/ Three Classic Songs

When Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson joined forces in the late 1970's they became bigger together than they ever were alone. Three songs from that era are eternal country classics, I have always enjoyed them and recently downloaded them

Good Hearted Woman is the best of the lot, a song that I myself find irresistable. This is a song I always sing along too. Waylon and Willie exchange lines and the song is backed with a strong arrangement. This version has crowd noise and one can only imagine that this concert with these two was a heck of a show.

Luckenbach Texas might be my personal favorite. It is a pretty song and easy to sing. I think my favorite verse might be Willie's with the nod to Jerry Jeff train songs. Not many reference Jerry Jeff Walker anymore.

Perhaps the most well known of all is Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys. This is a good song and everyone knows it but I find it to more of a novelty than a traditional country song. When one listens to Willie and Waylon they are not looking for anything much beyond traditional country. These songs deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment