Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fire Season by Philip Connors

I should point out that when I comment that a book was dull or boring this is only a reflection of how I felt. Many books, perhaps most books that I read a good portion of people would avoid at all costs. Biography, History and Literature are not usually high on the list of most people.

Fire Season, subtilted Field Notes From a Wilderness Lookout is a book by Connors about his exploits seven months a year in the New Mexico mountains serving as a Fire Lookout. It is a solitary existence, just he and his dog though he does get 4 days off after ten days on.

I thought the book looked interesting. I like solitude. However like Thoreau who I have had a hard time wading through the book did not offer much bite. I did not find him very ruminating on meaning of life issues and while I still have to try Walden again this book did not hold much for me.

It is true that I only read the first fifty pages and it might speed up. I rarely abandon a book, I usually choose to slog through but this book held out little interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment