Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Book of Mormon Soundtrack

At the request of my sister in law I listened to this. She found it to be wonderfully funny and I am always willing to give anything a try.

The soundtrack of the Broadway play that has been a huge success written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone the creators of South Park.

With that as a background we know what is coming. The soundtrack is funny. It is also outrageously offensive to people of faith.

The play tells us the story of some young Mormom missionaries who thinking they will be sent to Orlando are shocked to find themselves in Africa. Aids and starving children are not what they expected.

One of the most offensive things I have ever heard is an explanation of Hakuna Matata as relates to Africans struggling with death and diesease. Still there is a base of humor and wryness and perhaps understanding of the contrast between the Mormon missionaries and those they proclaim to help.

I cannot reccomend this but it was something to listen to. What it says about our culture with its success I am not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment