Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ed Sullivan - Comedy Highlights Special

This show was on PBS last weekend with Mary Tyler Moore hosting a retrospective of some comedians who appeared on Ed Sullivan over the years.

Watching a show like this makes me miss a time I never really knew. I was alive in the last years of The Ed Sullivan Show but do not recall it. What must it have been like to have each Sunday night a show on that much of the country watched together as a shared experience.

This show featured bits by Alan King, Red Buttons, Red Skelton, Joan Rivers and Flip Wilson. We also saw Rich Little and some of the more modern comics as they started out such as Richard Pryor and George Carlin.

One can be funny without playing blue and this show was a fine example of that. The George Carlin weatherman skit was priceless.

I am sure this will be on many times over on PBS. It is worth watching. I laughed out loud as the kids say.

No comments:

Post a Comment