Wednesday, September 28, 2011

We the Animals by Justin Torres

This short book has gotten much buzz and more praise this fall. At just 144 pages this is a one night book told in a series of vignettes of life in the home of three young boys from upstate New York.

Their father is Puerto Rican and their mother is white. The father moves from job to job while the mother works the graveyard shift in a brewery. Life is not easy.

I am sure part of my issue with this book is that culturally this book is so far removed from the life I led as a child is that it is hard to relate to. While I have enjoyed the Southern culture of Faulkner and actually quite enjoyed Junot Diaz's book a few years ago but this books makes me feel country and whitebread for sure.

These boys curse, are rude to strangers. steal, fight and kick. Theor house is an everchanging envrionment based on the moods and daily struggles their parents face.

A couple vignettes are quite interesting, the boys father purchases a truck that the mother does not approve of, for one but for me this book was, while I might be able to appreciate it as literature, I certainly did not connect with it. Nothing to rememeber for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment