Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Very Best of Otis Redding

Otis Redding died at the age of 26. I must confess until a short time ago the only Otis Redding I had in my collection was Sittin on the Dock of the Bay. A great song.

Now that I have listened to more Otis Redding and listened to this collection I realize that as great a song as that is it is not the best in his collection or even very representational of his musical style.

I have a playlist on my IPOD for what I call Motown though I am not sure it is all Motown specifically but it is all that kind of music. Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Jackie Wilson and others lead the way. Otis now joins that list.

The voice was purely perfect. " These Arms of Mine, Try a Little Tenderness, and I've Been Loving You Too Long may be three of the sweetest slow songs to dance to you will ever here.

What a gift to sing like that.

As they say in Animal House " Otis is my man" After listening to this music I can only be sad I took this long to find it and make sure that I pass it on to my music loving oldest son.

No comments:

Post a Comment