Thursday, February 10, 2011

At Home by Bill Bryson

I purchased this book and very much looked forward to reading it. Bryson's earlier book A Short History of Nearly Everything has to be one of my favorite books of all time. I love the way he takes scientific theory and made it easier to understand in lay terms.

So reading this book which promised to tell the history of the home and things in it.

In short I was disappointed. Perhaps having the history of salt and pepper and such oddities is not the canvas to paint on that the universe and the creation thereof is.

The book was not terrible. There were several interesting factoids. The origin of many words and phrases such as Bakers Dozen, the history of spices salt and pepper and beyond as well as the history of bed and bedding. We learned much about bats, rats, mice and other vermin. Interestingly my wife did not appreciate hearing about these animals and the other bacteria and microscopic things that live on us as we lay in bed at night.

The book was interesting. Clearly the bar was too high. Still knowing what I know now I would not have bought this book.

Read A Short History of Nearly Everything. It is a wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment