Thursday, February 24, 2011

Florence and The Machine, Lungs

Driving back home on the highway last night my wife and I were listening to one of my favorite playlists and having listened to Bruce, Skynyrd, The Stones, and such I realized my heart is in the seventies. That is true and remains so - no apologies will be forthcoming.

I do appreciate new music however. On Pandora the other day Slaid Cleaves came up on my playlist and I was very happy as I do enjoy his music, I hope to see both James McMurtry and Ray Lamontagne as they both come to Maine in the coming months.

After having listened to Bruno Mars recently today I listened to the new Florence and the Machine. My son had been listening to and singing Dog Days Are Over around the house so this is one of the first bands that my son has exposed me to.

When first listening this girl Florence's voice is immediately attention getting. Simply put she can belt it out.

Dog Days Are Over, Cosmic Love, My Boy Builds Coffins, and You've Got the Love are standouts. Of a different nature but standing out in a different way is Kiss With A Fist, a song whose title tells what the question might be.

Her music is hard to describe. It is not hit music but it had gained an audience. It is hard to know where she will end up as an artist, niche seems more likely, it is hard to picture her becoming a pop star. Stranger things have happened however.

Wherever Florence ends up however you would be wise to look for her and listen. This girl can wail.

No comments:

Post a Comment