Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

I have heard much about this book so was intrigued when I saw the movie was on TMC. I watched this and still am not sure what I think of it.

One thing I will say is that I was shocked by the ending. I guess I should have read the book, I did not foresee that ending.

The movie featured two separate plots that were only connected by the main characters relationship to both. A man named Singer, a deaf mute, played by Alan Arkin. It must be a challenge to play a role such as that and transmit feeling and emotion but Arkin does.

Cicely Tyson plays a unlikeable character in the movie and Percy Rodriguez her father an African American doctor torn between doing what he feels is right and what might be needed.

Stacy Keach has a memorable role which makes us remember that he was a fine actor before the Mickey Spillane stereotype he played on television.

Stealing the movie however in her movie debut was Sandra Locke later of Clint Eastwood movie fame. She plays a teenage girl whose room is rented out to Singer as her family struggles financially. Her struggles and angst and relationship with Singer are the centerpiece of the movie. She is remarkable in the role.

A good movie, an unsettling movie. Worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment