Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bob Marley & The Wailers- Live Forever: The Stanley Theatre , Pittsburgh, PA, Sept 23, 1980

In a way Bob Marley's music is something that is passed down the generations. Rarely will someone first hear of the music on the radio, do people still listen to the radio, instead it is usually something that someone turns you onto. I remember in high school around 1982 a friend of mine played me Three Little Birds. I wish I could say that I instantly recognized the beauty of the music. I did not. I was a country kid from small town Maine and thought it was weird.

Time however broadened my horizons and by the time I was in college in the mid eighties Bob Marley was a staple. I read somewhere that his album legend has been on the Billboard Catalog chart for over one thousand weeks. I do not doubt it, when I was in college it was an album everyone had.

My children in growing up have long known Bob Marley. Rightly so Three Little Birds was their first introduction but my son in particular has broadened his horizon greatly in the Bob Marley collection.

When I saw this concert was being released I was very interested. Advised this was his last recorded concert before his death, he had collapsed just days before but the show went on, I was interested to hear the show.

It is, in a word, flawless. Marley's voice sounded perfect, live or in the studio it was always the same voice. The show included all the songs one would expect such as No Woman No Cry, Exodus, Jamming, Get Up Stand Up and Redemption Song. Three Little Birds however is conspicuous in it's absence but we will forgive that . Other songs included are less known such as Running Away, The Heathen, Them Bellyfull, and Natural Mystic which sound fresh and clean and wonderful.

If you are like most Marley fans who have learned his music through Legend and perhaps Exodus you will not be disappointed in this collection but you will find many songs you might not be so familiar with. If you are a newbie this is a good place to start.

You cannot go wrong with this album. Turn down the lights, light one up ( if only in your mind ) and listen to the Master. While we might argue about Elvis or Little Richard being the King of Rock and Roll there is no doubt who is the beginning and end of all things Reggae. It is Bob Marley.

No comments:

Post a Comment