Monday, February 21, 2011

Bruno Mars, Doo-Wops & Hooligans

I have little exposure these days to top 40 music. My middle son is big into the rap music that permeates everywhere these days and my daughter has already gone through her Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus stage and now considers Taylor Swift as good as it gets.

I, as we listen to the 20 songs the hit radio station they listen to in the car, have heard some of the Bruno Mars songs. He seemed to me to be able to carry a tune. I saw him on Saturday Night Live this past fall and while not paying much attention he seemed like he could have some talent. Recently I read an article in Rolling Stone about him and it tells that he has been involved in show business for his whole life, even being a childhood Elvis impersonator.

So a friend of mine let me borrow this album and having listened to it today a couple times through I have to say that Bruno makes me feel like there may be hope for current music. This kid can really sing.

The single " Grenade " is so catchy that I have been annoying the kids singing the chorus all day. " Just the Way You Are" is nearly as infectious. Marry You and Talking to the Moon could soon be finding their way to a radio near you as well. Interestingly and of note to me are a couple of tracks, Runaway Baby and The Lazy Song which in addition to be as catchy are backed with a reggae beat. In most of the songs, certainly on Talking to the Moon one can hear a similarity to Micheal Jackson. His voice is strong and sweet. I do not know if he writes his own music, I do not know if he will progress or fade away but for right now Bruno Mars is at the top of his game.

No comments:

Post a Comment