Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

This play was assigned to us to read in Sophomore English. I am sure I did not read it, I glanced at some Cliffs Notes and probably managed a C. I remember that we were to learn the " To be or not to soliliquoy. I am sure I got no further than suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

However in my adult years I consistently hear references to Shakespeare and realize I am educated. Downloading the entire works ( thanks Kindle ) of Shakespeare I decided to start with Hamlet. This is the most performed and famous work of the playwright but I must admit my knowledge of the play was very limited.

The language of Shakespeare is difficult. Some of the phrasing is obsolete and antiquated. The story breaks through though if with some work and I am confident that as I read more and more of the plays I will better understand the language.

The story is that of a young Danish prince named Hamlet who after being visited by his father's ghost is on a mission to avenge his fathers death, heretofore not known to be a murder. The play is a tragedy and there are many deaths but the story is wonderful.

It is hard four centuries later to appreciate these works as one should but they are wonderful and in many ways set the stage for much of the great literature that came after.

I am very pleased to be starting on this mission to read these classics. Hamlet was a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment