Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Antonia by Willa Cather

After finishing War and Peace the next book I chose to read from the selection of free books on the Kindle was this one. Certainly much lighter material Cather is an author I have not read but have heard much about and heard many references too.

This book was very entertaining. Being a nostalgic person I found myself captured by the description she gives of growing up on the Nebraska plains.

In starting the book we meet Jim a man who is remembering his youth and before the story even begins the meter and pace of the writing tells you that this is going to be a well written story.

Through Jim's telling of his own youth we meet Antonia and her family, Bohemian immigrants who arrive in Jim's town the same day that Jim does, on the same train in fact as Jim who himself is coming to Nebraska to live with his grandparents after being orphaned in Virginia.

It is a different life told about in these pages. A life without modern conveniences but which seems at least to me as a life more full. A life more participated in. A life that with all its rough and tumble of the prairie still had more manners and regard for " the right thing."

I am an unabashed nostalgic. I love stories of the past. This book is well written. The story is interesting, it is a book that is dated in places but then again aren't we all.

Cather is a very good writer and based on this I will try some of her other stories. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment