Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jessica Lea Mayfield, With Blasphemy So Heartfelt

A couple of weeks ago Amazon offered this album for way back in 2008 for $3.00. Having already liked the first song I had heard off her most recent album I purchased this. I have been very very pleased with this album.

Thus singers voice is unique. She sounds raspy with a slight drawl but it is not southern so much as in some songs she just slows it down. Joni Mitchell, Maria McKee, Lucinda Williams these all sound like influences on Jessica but this is only my idea, what she was influenced by might be others.

What I know is this girl can sing. I have not found a song that is not something I want to hear again on the disc but For Today, Hold you Close and especially We've Never Lied are standouts. Hearing this young lady tell us she will talk to whoever she wants to makes you feel like it is a statement or a song that she might well have spoken in the past.

There is not much room in the Top 40 for an artist like this. In some cases you have to hunt for good music. It is out there if you do. This album surfacing for me three years later proves it can be found.

Listen to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment