Thursday, August 25, 2011

Otis by Jay Z and Kanye West


I am not a rap music fan. I do however have an appreciation for it that is more than I ever thought it would be. I think Eminem is talented and Lil Wayne is vulgar, rude and mysoginistic. He is also however incredibly good at turning a hook.

Jay Z has become for all intents and purposes an elder statesman, a Godfathr if you will of rap. A media darling with his recent biography and of course his marriage to Beyonce he can really do no wrong these days.

His most recent album, a collaberation with Kanye West has been for many " the most anticpated release of the summer. " Far from that for me but with the help of my new favorite music item in the world, Spotify, I have been listening to all kinds of new music. It really is like a jukebox of all the music you can think of.

Having just listened to a couple of the songs thus far I can tell you the album is intelligent and interesting. This blog however is about the song Otis. Rap music is often about the sample that is used in the song. In this song Otis Redding is the third memeber of the band, sampled widely and throughout the entire song. The result is audacious and bold and superior to anything on the rap spectrum I have heard this year. I do not pretend to be a connisuer of rap music but I know what I like. This song rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment