Thursday, August 11, 2011

Planet of the Apes



After watching the recently released Rise of the Planet of the Apes I decided to show my wife the original movie in the series. This movie, The Planet of the Apes, has been a favorite of both my sons and I.

The story of astronauts brought back to Earth after time travel only to find themselves in a world run by apes. Charlton Heston in a role tour de force becomes a pet of the ape scientists. Their are several references in the movie to race issues and also to religion. Lines such as " the only good human is a dead human" and speech about the sacred scrolls and how they need to be believed draw a correlation and the message of the movie.

Ending it all is the scene that launched the movie. His discovery that " they finally did it" and what he discovered is one of the iconic movie moments in film history.

A good movie, a little campy, but one I have enjoyed greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment