Friday, August 26, 2011

Watch the Throne by Jay Z and Kanye West



After having reviewed the single " Otis " which was and is my favorite song of the moment I took advantage of Spotify and listened to the whole album this evening as I watched the ballgame on mute.

I am no expert on rap but this is accessible for anyone. Kanye West makes good rhymes and Jay Z gives the album credibility in rap circles. The sampling on this album connects old and new. Who Gon Stop Me and Why I Love You are catchy and synthed up. More notable are Murder to Excellence and Made in America which are songs that both say more than most comparable songs. I suppose a backlash is possible saying that West and Jay Z are pretentious in thinking they can write better on this subject than most..but they do combine rap sensibilities, with musical genres wide and lyrics that are literate and snappy.

I just know what I like. I would buy this album even if I do not know what all the lyrics mean. Otis, Made in America, and Murder to Excellence are three of the best songs you will hear this year from any genre

No comments:

Post a Comment