Monday, February 6, 2012

Downton Abbey Season II

We have taped the first five episodes of Downtun Abbey and will continue to do so. This weekend my wife and I started watching. We loved season 1.

This is one of those shows that I just love. It is well acted, it is grown up, it is extremely well acted and just a look at the exterior shots of the castle make me wonder what I would do with all that room. We live in a small house you see.

Everyone who knows me knows that I was born about a century too late and this show and my affection for it is a case in point. My favorite character, and there are many, is the Head Butler Carson. He is stodgy, proper and importantly loyal character. We have only got ourselves about ninety minutes into the second season but I do not think that we will see a better line than Carson when told to go easier, that with a war on they cannot do the same as before, Carson's response is that " by not reducing our standards we shall show those Germans they will not succeed." I may not have the quote exactly right but Carson being so dutiful in keeping the house ship shape, to not letting things slip as being part of the war effort makes me love the character.

This is a great show. Still. Perhaps the best thing on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment