Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Defiant Ones

Continuing my movies from the fifties week, TCM is a great channel, I watched this the other night. Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier play two convicts that escape after a car accident takes their transport vehicle off the road. They are chained together and being black and white in fifties Mississippi are not enamored of each other.

Curtis is wonderful in his role, much better to me than his celebrated performance in Some Like it Hot and Poitier is telling and sharp in his role as well.

Shot in black and white but very effectively this is a very good movie. Lon Chaney has a small role that for his few moments fills the screen.

Talking to my wife about the movie I commented that remade today it would be all bloody violence and with streams of profanity. I am not a prude but this movie had no profanity and felt no less realistic to me.

A very good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment