Friday, January 21, 2011

Rebel Without a Cause

This 1955 movie considered a classic was one I recorded a few weeks ago. I watched this in a few parts and have to say that it was better than I thought it would be.

As a tale of troubled teenagers the movie was, in some ways, a little highhanded. The overdone emotions of Jim Stark ( James Dean ) seem a little unrealistic in places especially the beginning. Still the character is likable and Dean jumps off the screen. Natalie Wood as his eventual love interest and Sal Mineo as Plato are wonderful, in fact Pineo may have been the best thing in the movie.

The characters are well developed if overemotional but then again having teenagers in my house I know this can be true.

Underrated in this movie is Jim Backus. From my generation we only think of him as Mr. Howell but he was wonderful in this movie. Playing James Dean's father, a henpecked husband who his son is embarrassed for as he feels him not manly enough Backus is very good.

A good movie better as a sum of its parts than what it seems in pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment