Sunday, January 23, 2011

On The Waterfront

Perhaps I need to watch more bad movies. By using TCM as a movie source and using TIVO on the classics of the past I guess my reviews will remain more positive than most. I am not a great reviewer I do not want to watch movies I do not think will be good.

In this movie, finishing up my fifties run Marlon Brando plays Terry an ex boxer working the docks. The docks are run by a gangster who is well ensconced in town by a cooperative D A.

After unknowingly setting up an informant for murder by the mob Terry befriends the mans sister played by Eva Marie Saint. Soon he is convinced to work with the crime commission to change things by the sister and the local priest played by Karl Malden who is wonderful in his role.

The movie contends one of the most famous lines in the movies Brando's " I should have been a contendah"

He was right. This is a contender for one of the great movies. It was. Brando and Malden were tremendous in this move...energizing the screen.

Sometimes with the cartoon like figure he became late in life we forget how incredible Brando was. He was the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment