Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bill Cosby on Jimmy Fallon

Last night I was reading late in the living room. My son joined me about 12:30 as he had been preparing for finals. As per normal when David Letterman was over I switched over to NBC and Jimmy Fallon.

A great night to see the show as Bill Cosby was the guest. Cosby must be at least 75 now and he looks like one of those men whose features have never stopped growing. Cosby is a large man. He has big hands, a big head, big ears and an enormous nose. And he still may be the funniest man on the planet.

Cosby features are stretchable like the jello he used to do advertisements for. Last night Cosby told a routine about joining the army, and the horrors of basic training and how they fueled his desire for education. Having not been a good student as he passed through high school this was a challenge for him.

The fact is that Cosby can talk about anything and be funny. Fallon in his role as Superfan which comes so naturally to him appeared as excited, perhaps more so, than you or I would be.

Perhaps the best part of the performance was that my son watched it with me. Cosby, who works clean, made my son laugh. His exposure to Cosby is mostly in passing and of the famous Bill Cosby. Last night my son learned how funny a person could be just being funny. No profanity, no insulting, just simple stories told in a way that made them fall down funny.

Cosby is a legend for all the right reasons. Anytime he is scheduled to be on television we would all be wise to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment