Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Young and Wild and Free by Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa featuring Bruno Mars

I will give rappers credit. They collaberate better than rock and roll artists. This song which appears on a soundtrack album called Mac and Devin go to High School, though I am not sure this is a real movie.

My middle son has been playing this all the time. Listening to the words it is hard to embrace. So what we get drunk, so what we smoke weed. Roll one, Smoke one seems to be the theme.

So I listened to this today on Spotify. This song sends a bad message. It has bad language and is all about drug use. It is awful.

It is also incredibly and I mean incredibly addictive and enjoyable. If I were a 16 year old kid out with my friends this is the song that would be on the radio. It is not even a debate. It is catchy, it has a great rhythem and yes here is a news flash kids like songs about drinking and smoking. Even those like my kids who do not do these things.

I should also talk about a song on the same album I listened to today called I Get Lifted. Soaking up the breeze, smoking on this tree, and then with a back chorus of some female soul singers with I Get Lifted. If it is possible this song might be even more catchy than the song above.

Look this whole album is all about weed and smoking dope. This is not a good thing. One thing we must face is that as long as artists can make music this catchy with riffs like this kids are going to be influenced.

Now my worry is that it is on the radio. I do not think songs with drug refences and that need bleeps every three words should be on the radio. Teenagers will find these on Spotify if they wish, but so many of the Top 40 listeners are junior high or less. They do not need the music that is on this radio.

As parents we can always control some of what our kids listen to. I played this with my son tonight. He knows I do not endorse the message. It does not good however to be hypocritical and pretend this music, much like Lil Wayne is not incredibly strong. Can the message be ignored and the beat enjoyed. I am hoping it can be.

These are great songs. There is no denying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment