Thursday, January 5, 2012

Out Here in the Middle by James McMurtry

I have a well documented affection for the music of James McMurtry. Indeed it could be said that it was James McMurtry that brought me to Americana and Outlaw country. I think he may be as good a songwriter as there is today.

Today picking my daughter up from play practice this song came up on The Outlaw Radio and I told her that I was sorry she could not flip to 20 on 20...not with Brother James on the radio.

This song , touches me. McMurtry writes about the Middle as being flyover country. What he knows or should know however by his popularity in places like the Bangor Maine area is that the Middle is everywhere except of course where it is not.

For me when Brother Jim talks about the ghost of William Jennings Bryan preaches every night he has me sold. Find another song writer this side of Bob Dylan that might be able to put that reference in a song in a meaningful way.

This is a great song, by a great songwriter, a great performer. Did I say great enough. Call me a big fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment